2016-04-23

Build Update 2016-APR-23

Today we purchased a recycled IBC.  This will become the fish tank in the now-modified build.  More modifications to come.  The tote itself was available with a new bottle.  It was slightly more expensive, but since it has never been used we can be assured there should be no contaminates lingering.  I'll wash it out all the same.

The tote is a 330 gallon, which is about 130 gallons larger than the tank I had originally spec'd.  I'll have to use a SLO to deal with the waste accumulation on the bottom, but I'm hoping that will work OK.  An alternative would be to use the bottom drain itself, but I hesitate to do that, partly because it's facing the wrong direction.  The tote is also shorter than the cone-bottom tank, and since it's free-standing it was also about 1/4 the cost (i.e. no stand required).  I may place it on some PT 2x4's just to get it off the ground, since the back porch gets quite a bit of rain-water on the floor.  It's really just an accumulation, but also quite an annoyance.

I built the two frames (below) a few months ago.  Unfortunately, the project has stagnated due to lack of funds.  On the bright side, this has given me time to reconsider the fish tank (which is why it's now a tote), and time for the PT lumber to dry out.  With it dry, it will be easier to paint.  I still have to purchase and cut the PT plywood, and have been reworking the grow bed stand.  I am hoping to fix a few design concerns I had, and make it so that both the upper bed and lower DWC tank can be properly leveled.

The lumber, all cut and labeled


More pre-cut pieces.



The two boxes, sans bottoms.


No comments:

Post a Comment