2016-04-25

Grow Structure Design Update

On and off over the last couple of months, I have been toying around with different ways to support the grow bed and DWC/sump.
Various ways to put the GB on top of the DWC.


 There are two key problems I have to solve:
  1. The bottom of the grow bed must provide sufficient clearance to allow both functional DWC access, and to ensure the DWC lighting will not be too close to the plants.
  2. The patio where the system is to be located has a very unfortunate slope: approximately a 1 5/16 inch drop over an 8 feet run.
Point number 2 provides a most amusing problem.  The DWC tank is 8 feet long.  Left unchecked, one side of the DWC tank (and, of course, the GB) will be 1 5/16" lower than the other.  Since the pump will be located on the high-side of the tank, this is no bueno.  I have toyed with some options for dealing with the slope.  The first, and so far still the best, is to cut several ramps that will act as combination joists-and-slope-correction.  Another alternative was a set of wedges, cut so as to be placed at regular intervals along the bottom of the DWC tank.

Mounting the GB above the DWC is also an interesting challenge.  As I mentioned above, the DWC needs to remain accessible.  I figure I should keep a minimum 12" between the top of the DWC and the bottom of the GB supports to ensure good access (meaning I can get my boards in and out, with large plants, without crushing or destroying anything living in the process).  To complicate things, I also cannot have the GB situated too high, or it will become difficult to plumb it and to access it during actual operation.  Due to the slope problem, the DWC tank will also be situated slightly off the floor, thereby reducing the already limited clearance between the DWC and the GB supports.

Another goal is ease of build: I don't want to mortise if I don't have to, as it's a PITA.  Considering the weights involved, I also don't want anything potentially compromising the precision of the legs.  My calculations put the DWC tank weight around 1,000 lbs when filled.  The GB will probably be in that ballpark, as well.  Much of the GB's weight will depend on the weight of the media.  I'm planning on going with Aquarocks: a sort-of Hydroton alternative, where if Hydroton and lava rocks got together, Aquarocks would be their baby.

As if this all wasn't enough, the patio slope presents a bonus problem: the legs of the GB stand will be tilting by approximately 0.8 degrees.  Over the 3.5" width of the leg, this equates to one side being a little more than 1/32" higher than the other.  If the legs are 30" long, the top will be displaced by roughly 0.41".  Lateral force due to the 1,000 lbs load should come to something like 13 lbs, so it will be as though there is someone pushing against the legs with 13 lbs of force at all time.  Now that I have that written thus, I may be reconsidering my plan to not slant the feet of the legs.  My only hope - and perhaps I should check a physics book on this - is that the load will at least be distributed among 6 legs, so 2 lbs lateral force per leg.  Also, given that there will be 998 lbs of downward force, perhaps this is really all moot.

Here's the current draft plan, plus a look at how the tote squeezes in on the patio:
The build: notice the purple slants.
They're there for a reason.

Large, beastly recycled IBC tote, located where it needs to go.
The one problem with the tote is that it forces the "near-end" of the GB/DWC out away from the wall, breaking the clean lines that had always dominated the system.  But that's fine.  A small sacrifice for an extra 130 gallons of capacity.


No comments:

Post a Comment