2016-04-27

Updated Layout, Electrical Draft

So here it is, an updated layout with an IBC for better representation, and the latest incarnation of the GB+DWC setup.  The reconfiguration of the grow structure has allowed me to regain some space closest to the patio doors.  The electrical run is shown in pink.  There should be about 15" between the grow structure and the step that leads up into the patio door, meaning there is more than 15" between the structure and door itself.



The area on the floor in green is more than 2 feet away from any wall or barrier.  The yellow areas are within the 2' range.  Thus, I can move the grow structure even further away from the door, though not terribly much more.

I have yet to spec the actual components for the electrical.  Right now I need a minimum 3 outlets, all GFCI-protected.  I am thinking of putting a main cutoff on the left, on the pipe run originating outlet box (the grey box lowest to the ground to the left of the door).  The outlets will need to be wet-location protected.  I would also like to integrate a timer into the build, for the lighting.  I have one which isn't being used - it used to run the pool pump (but the pool is gone...for now).  It would fit nicely in on the left or right.

I'll also have to see how much wire each of the electrical appliances comes with.  The water pump should be no problem, I think it came with a ton because it's submersible.  The air pump, on the other hand, may be another story.  That said, I will need to experiment with the length of the air hose to see how it affects pump efficiency.  If it's not terrible, I might be able to store the pump close to the outlets and run longer air lines.  One way or another, I'll have to come up with a way to protect the air pump from the elements.

I am currently in the process of researching LED lighting options.  It looks like a DIY build will be required, if I want any reasonable amount of light output.  That said, I'm not sure how much light I need.  There's only indirect light back there, so some direct LED is a minimum requirement.  Having it be DIY also means I'll need to properly store and protect the LED drivers and any power transformer equipment...gaaah!  IP66 anyone?  Perhaps rated fixtures are not such a bad investment after all...especially if I could find some on eBay.  Or perhaps I should build or attach a weatherproof box to the back of the grow bed?

If you're wondering why no HID or fluorescent, I simply don't have the headroom for the lower tank, and really not for the upper tank either.  I'm not even sure how I'm going to mount the LEDs for either.  But an LED bar should be no thicker than a T5, when it's completed and mounted, and should put out significantly less heat.  Moreover, and the main reason, it should cost significantly less in power.  That's a big deal.  That, coupled with low voltage (always a nicety around water) and the potential ability to encase a good portion of the electronics in epoxy (waterproof!!), makes LEDs very attractive.

Modeled, but not shown in the picture above, is the sloping porch ceiling.  The long horizontal electrical pipe running over the patio door is situated just below where the ceiling meets the wall.  That's also the highest point for the ceiling, so perhaps you can appreciate the headroom situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment