2016-09-11

Project Update: Electrical Install

Before I lose access to parts of the porch, I have started running the electrical.  A snapped concrete drill bit today stopped my work before I could complete the first run, unfortunately.  Still, I managed to get quite a bit done.

The nearest receptacle is quite a bit away from the grow beds.  I have opted to run schedule 40 PVC electrical conduit from just above the existing receptacle, overhead of the porch door, and down to the right of the door (in the space between the door and the porch screen wall).  The conduit enters a 2-gang weatherproof box, where power will be delivered to a GFCI outlet.  From that outlet, power to the other outlets and the timer (for the lighting) will be drawn.  This means that everything downstream from the GFCI outlet will be ground-fault protected.

I had initially planned to use an existing single-gang electronic timer to drive the lights.  Upon further consideration and research, I decided that it would be better to use a standalone hardwire timer, one rated to significantly more wattage than the single-gang would have provided me.  I chose this one:  http://www.intermatic.com/en/products/timeswitches/electroniccontrols/24hour_7day/gm40ave.  I haven't had a chance to test it, since it's only installed and not wired.  The way I have it mounted, I can either run the return power back to the 2-gang box and manage an outlet there, or run a separate conduit down from the timer to a dedicated LED driver box.  I will most likely be pursuing the latter.

While I am trying to do everything to the NEC code (and I have the large, blue 2008 version sitting in my living room), I elected to leave the bottom plugs of the 2-gang box unsealed.  This was a wise decision, since I realized before this evening's run to our local home improvement store that the pump plug wire was not going to reach to the 2-gang outlet box.  I'll be running another conduit and placing an outlet right behind the IBC tank.

Please note that everything is being weatherproofed, so any stray sprays of water, splashes, or even a good soaking, should not cause any damage or death.  And, of course, the GFCI is there to help with that.  Everything, from the conduit to the wiring to the enclosures, is rated for wet locations, as defined in the Code.

As for the lighting, I have started doing more research on that again.  We recently purchased some LED flashlights.  The beams are adjustable, and with the focuser pushed all the way in you can see the actual LED element.  It's a single-lens array, square in shape, and the output is 350 lumens.  It is quite bright, and has caused me to reconsider just how much light my system actually needs.  I am thinking that it may be time to do some basic testing.  I have begun pricing out some components, and may make some purchases soon so as to get some experiments done.  What I would really like to do is set up a few makeshift grow chambers out of opaque plastic boxes (think the giant tubs for storing your junk in).  With these, I could set up three or four experimental lights and test a small tray of seedlings in each.  My control would need to be a similar tray positioned outdoors, for direct sun.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure I have either the time or the money to do this.  But then again, considering the thought of wasting money on the wrong lighting...


No comments:

Post a Comment